Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors, Communities In Schools of Michigan, Inc.
Administrative Office of Communities In Schools of Michigan
Location: Lansing, Michigan
JOB SUMMARY: The Communities In Schools of Michigan CEO is a member of the network of CIS state-level directors, a vibrant and thoughtful community of colleagues that come together to propose policies, procedures, and future directions of the CIS national network. Communities In Schools is the nation’s largest and most effective dropout prevention organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: General duties include responsibility for overall management of Communities In Schools of Michigan program. In conjunction with the board of directors, the CEO is responsible for establishing the organization’s goals and objectives; for developing and implementing strategies and procedures to accomplish the goals and objectives; and for ensuring that the organization has the sustainable financial resources it requires.
The CEO has express responsibility for:
- Ensuring the successful execution of the core functions of a Communities In Schools state office, as those core functions may be defined by the Communities In Schools national office at any given time and;
- Ensuring that the organization meets the quality standards for a Communities In Schools state office as set forth by the Communities In Schools national office at any given time.
- Responsible with the Board for fund development and fiscal management of the organization.
- Responsible for selection, training, supervision and evaluation of management team and program staff and related personnel policy and practice.
- Responsible for the operation and delivery of CIS Model to any school district embedded in or incubated by the State office.
- Supervise the coordination of CIS operations statewide, developing close working relationships with the state’s local CIS affiliates and with the national CIS network.
- Supervise and monitor development of a technical assistance, training, and evaluation plan to assist each local CIS affiliate in the state and provide ongoing support services as needed.
- Plan replication assistance to communities throughout the state to initiate and implement local CIS affiliates.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with state legislators and staff, and with appropriate departments, commissions, and committees charged with addressing issues affecting children, youth and their families.
- Take the lead in creating partnerships throughout the state to work on behalf of children, youth and their families.
- Develop, present and implement operational plans.
- Fiscal responsibility for Annual and projected Budgets
- Grant management and reporting
- Establish and maintain appropriate linkages with media outlets and ensure the promotion of Communities In Schools Michigan and its goals through social media and appropriate technology.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: The CEO should possess excellent management and organizational skills, experience as the CEO/Executive Director of an organization is preferred, as well as demonstrated leadership in and commitment to improving the life opportunities of disadvantaged children and youth, including:
- Bachelor Degree or advanced Degree preferred; experience in lieu of degree(s) considered
- Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, ability to raise significant resources from foundations, corporations, individuals, events and public entities.
- Sensitivity to needs of youth and diverse populations.
- Superior level of interpersonal and written and oral communications skills.
- Proven track record of fundraising and fiscal management.
- Strategic visioning skills
- Budgetary skills
- Well connected in the state’s education system, business community, social service organizations and legislative process in the state.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and beyond on a regular basis
- Seasoned, experienced professional with appropriate experience in public administration, education, social services or a related field.
- Technical knowledge and ability in the use of Microsoft Office applications
Work Environment: Office, School Sites, Community
Lifting Requirement: 25 pounds
Travel Requirements: In State travel and travel to CIS national functions including; conferences, meetings, travel to affiliates and between school sites, etc.
Valid driver’s license
Pass various background checks.
The physical requirements described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER POSITION INFORMATION:
Direct Budget– Yes
Indirect Budget– Yes
Mandated Reporter: As a staff member of Communities In Schools of Michigan, the employee is a mandated reporter of child abuse and neglect as outlined in the employee handbook. Failure to properly report to the appropriate child welfare authority and supervisor can result in disciplinary actions up to and including termination. See Mandated Reporter Policy in the Employee Personnel Manual for specific details.
The duties and responsibilities of this job are subject to change without prior notice.
Compensation commensurate with experience, salary range $60,000 -$70,000.
To submit an application: Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 30th, 2018. Applicants will be required to pass state and NSOPR background checks prior to hiring. Communities In Schools of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.