2019 Integrated Student Support Legislative Update
This legislation has been drafted to:
- Create a statewide best practices model for local districts that decide to establish integrated student supports (previously called “wrap around services”);
- Assist districts evaluate providers to help ensure evidence-based services to students;
- Increase support for funding student needs from foundations and businesses by having a statewide statutory model that includes community school strategies and requires an external, independently evaluated evidence-based model to improve student achievement;
- Help students needing assistance achieve academically to increase the number of students graduating from high school, ready for employment and post-secondary education;
- Align with the recent Every Child Succeeds Act, which includes specific language allowing federal Title funding for integrated student supports; and
- Align with the State Board of Education and Michigan Department of Education’s goal to make Michigan a top 10 state for education in ten years.